There were not very many of the machines in existence, perhaps four to six, and being a new technology, they were expensive and difficult to build. Rife’s focus was in determining the exact frequencies which would devitalize various pathogens – he was at heart an exacting machinist. It is not certain, but conjectured that in about 1933, Dr. Johnson suggested a radio engineer named Philip Hoyland, who lived in nearby Altadena, CA., to Rife as someone who could help (or even build) the ray tube devices. Hoyland, who was known as quite an accomplished radio engineer of the time, built Rife’s equipment in his Altadena home or garage, and delivered the machines to Rife’s laboratory in his truck.
Hoyland, who was married to Laura Mazie, moved to the Pasadena area in 1927, and was the President and Manager of the Premier Radio Corporation of California. In 1928 he is shown as a salesman for the Rowley Electric Company, and 1929 and 1930 as a serviceman for the Radio Doc Company in Pasadena. He owned his home at 584 Stonehurst Drive in Altadena. There is thought that Hoyland built most, if not all, of the early Rife Ray machines, and court documents show him as the owner, along with Rife, of the Rife Ray Machine.
The 1934 “Cancer Clinic” in April of 1934 Dr. Milbank Johnson of Pasadena, CA., wrote to Arthur Kendall about the clinic proposed in La Jolla, Ca., starting the middle of June, and indicates that he has rented a house there for three months – so as to be close to the clinic which was held from June to August/September at the “Annex” on the Scripps Ranch. He further states that “I hope by then we will have human cases to work on.” There were a number of patients at the clinic, including some cancer patients. Johnson later wrote that he “had no help whatsoever, no nurses or assistants”.
In another letter in 1935, he says that the results were “not conclusive” – it is thought that some patients had responded well to the treatments from the Rife Ray machine, but that Johnson was not convinced that such a speedy recovery was necessarily the same thing as a “cure” – although apparently Royal Rife considered them “cured.” Dr. Johnson also wrote later that he had run the clinic by himself, to prove what the Rife Ray machine could do in vitro – in the body.
Mr. Rife was almost certainly not present for most of this clinic, but may have come around occasionally to help or to observe – he later testified in court that he had never treated a human patient. One patient from that clinic, who was described as one of the few patients with a visible cancer (on his cheek) contacted Dr. Johnson in early 1935, and was sent to another MD for removal of one eye – there is evidence that he had an eye cancer which had either not gone away, or which had returned. It is certain that Johnsonn sent him off for removal of the eye.
Dr. George Dock, who was the President of the Las Encinas Sanitarium in Pasadena, was also the President of the Los Angeles County Medical Association, and is mentioned as one of the physicians “attending” or more likely advising, in several of the letters of the period. It is quite possible that none of these other MDs actually participated in the Clinic, and in one case, Dr. Alvin Foord later testified that he only did tests on samples sent him by Dr. Johnson.
Johnson was an avid writer, yet there are very few letters from the period of the clinic and through into 1935 from him. I believe that, had he been satisfied with the results of the La Jolla Clinic, he would have been writing to many of his friends about the results – those letters have never been found, placing the results of the clinic in grave doubt.
On May 15th, 1935, Dr. Johnson wrote to Rife indicating that the University of Southern California was sending Rife notification that he was to be given a Doctor of Science degree ( honorary). There are indications that Rife never wrote back to USC, indeed, Dr. Johnson chides Rife as being “a rotten correspondent” in his letter to Rife. Also in 1935, Rife received an order for “One of those hypersensitive stethoscopes”, indication that Rife was indeed building other devices for researchers and MDs. In a letter in 1939, he was requested to bring “the stethoscopes and other of your inventions” that he might care to put on the market to England (that trip never happened, as Rife was summoned to testify at the Beam Ray trial). Dr. Johnson began using one of the Ray Machines (probably #5 or #6) in the fall of 1935, the year after the clinics in La Jolla, installing the device at the Santa Fe Hospital in Los Angeles.
Treatments were offered twice a week, typically for five minutes each, and apparently focussed on individual diseases. Dr. Milbank Johnson, in 1936, writes that he is happy that Phil (Hoyland) was able to tell what the matter was with one of Rife’s Ray Machines, and that it would be no problem to fix. Other documents of the period indicate that Rife usually had at least one of the machines that Phil Hoyland built, and that the two men sometimes traded machines while one was being worked on. In April of that year, a Dr. Goodman writes to Johnson about a patient of his whose vision had improved following treatments. A later letter to Rife from Johnson indicated that this patient had seven three-minute treatments with the Ray Machine.) It became clear that Rife needed a better facility in which to do his work, and Milbank Johnson approached Henry Timken regarding funds for a new lab – Johnson’s letters indicate that Timken was not in favor of addititional spending, but Johnson, with help from Mrs. Bridges, overcame Timken’s concerns.
It appears that Rife’s new laboratory was started in construction in April 1936, and in August of 1936 Rife moved into the facility – certainly the laboratory seen in the film (now on videotape) narrated by John Crane. He expresses great satisfaction in the new facility, built from the ground up to his specifications, with considerable advise from Dr. Johnson (one of these suggestions was to place the restrooms near the entrance, so that guests didn’t have to tromp through the laboratory to use the facilities), and placing the animal rooms in the basement along with the heavier equipment. In October-November of 1936, Dr. Johnson started using a Ray Machine in a clinic at the Pasadena Home for the Aged, and reported having excellent results, doing exposures three times a week. In that letter, he also tells of finding a “new” band of frequencies using a modified machine, and that band not only broke all the glass in his laboratory, but it also killed every culture sample – including molds – that were in the lab. Johnson was quite excited about this, in his letter to Rife.
A later letter tells of treating twenty to twenty-two people per session at his Clinic in Pasadena, and having excellent results. When Johnson closed this clinic, it appears that he was writing up the results for publication – one note says that all but one patient with cataracts was restored to normal vision – but it is unknown if that publication ever happened. In 1936, historical documents indicate that Rife was referred to as “Commander Rife” – and there are several cases of cataracts and carcinoma which patients recovered from following exposures to the ray tube. Coincidentally, Rife by this time had been ordered to spend no more than 2 hours a day at the Universal Microscope, as his eyes were failing; the long hours (days actually) of working at the microscope non-stop was taking its toll. One of the lamps Rife used was a small mercury-vapor light which produced quite a lot of ultraviolet light; since Rife was using quartz optics, that UV may have contributed to his failing eyesight.
The Beam Ray Company apparently was formed in October of 1936, with the approval of Rife and Hoyland. It is not known exactly what Rife’s involvement with Beam Ray was, although it is very clear he was concerned that the machines produced be fully tested and certified as to their “true devitalizing power”. On June 1st, 1937, the corporation amended its By-Laws to increase its Board from three members to nine. The Beam Ray Corporation officers consisted of: Benjamin Cullen (President), Ray Williams (Vice-President), Beth Willman (Secretary), Philip Hoyland, Charles Winter, J. W. C. Kitchen, A. Weeks, George Edwards, Ray Reynolds, and John Ernsting. (More than nine.) (Note that there is no relationship to the Beam Ray Corporation now operating). In early 1938, Benjamin Cullen transferred 450 shares of stock in Beam Ray to Royal Rife, 140 to Philip Hoyland, 480 to Edith Henderson, and 380 to W. H. Van Wart, while retaining 600 shares. A. W. Olmstead transferred 53 shares to Charles Winter and 447 to Beth Willman, while retaining 100 shares, and C. R. Hutchinson transferred 250 shares to C. W. Ernsting, 50 to George Edwards, 50 to Ray Reynolds, 200 to Royal Rife, 610 to Philip Hoyland, 100 to R. O. Berthean, 300 to Beth Willman, 300 to W. V. Blewett, 20 to W. H. Van Wart, 20 to Edith Henderson, and 447 to Charles Winter, while retaining 700 shares.
In 1937, Dr. Johnson indicates that Rife was working with helium and argon ray tubes. It appears that earlier versions had been helium, which may be such a small molecule that keeping it inside even a glass tube is difficult. Several papers mention that tubes had to be sent back to Rife or to Beam Ray to be recharged – another indication that Rife used helium in his early tubes, and may have switched to argon as the preferred noble gas to use in the plasma lamps. Other writings tell of the tubes having to be sent back to Hoyland to be “recharged” or refilled with whichever noble gas was being used – we have seen both helium and argon noted in the letters.
In June of 1937, Johnson writes that after eight months of operation, he closed his Pasadena Clinic, which worked primarily on cataracts in the elderly. In cooperation with an oculist, it was determined that in every case except one, the patient’s cataracts either cleared up, or his or her vision improved to the point no further treatments were needed. It is noted that in 1937, Philip Hoyland was living in the San Diego area, and working with Royal Rife on Ray Machines. A letter from Johnson in late 1937 to Rife indicates some form of misunderstanding between the two men, and Johnson’s correspondence to Rife lessens from that date.
Letters from Western Electronic Corporation in 1938 indicate that Rife was building a flat field lens telescope, possibly work he continued into the 50’s. A letter to the Royal Microscopical Society (apparently a part of the British Medical Society) in 1939 nominated Rife for a Fellowship in that Society. On May 6th, 1938, the San Diego Evening Examiner ran a front page story with a picture of Rife and Hoyland standing in front of one of the Ray machines. The text is from Rife, and there is little mention of Hoyland in the article. .
In 1938, Dr. Bertram Gonin wrote from England expressing concern that the two machines he received were not functioning, and John Crane, years later, notes that he thought one of the Beam Ray employees may have sent unfinished machines to England so he would be asked to go repair them. Newer information hints that one of the people in England may have tinkered with the machine, and one of Rife’s employees, Henry Siner, traveled to England in 1939 to adjust the microscope and to work on the Ray machine which had been sent. Siner later reported that the Ray Machine was working correctly.
He returned (along with the #4 microscope) to the US in 1939. Rife had been planning on going, but the lawsuit (following) prevented that trip. The #5 microscope, a greatly simplified version of the Universal #3 microscope, was later sent to England, and is currently in the Science Museum in London, England, but is normally not on display. On April 24 of 1938, Royal Rife and Philip Hoyland, as the owners of the Rife Ray instrument, granted C. R. Hutchinson a 1/3 interest in the machine for the purposes of “all other business requirements necessary for the expedient and beneficial promotion of such Rife Ray machine.”
In 1939 court documents, the statement is made that the Rife Ray invention was owned by Royal Raymond Rife, Philip Hoyland, and C.R. Hutchinson. It is likely that the assertions that the Rife Ray machine was built by Philip Hoyland is accurate – indeed, in the videotapes (from the original film) of the Rife Laboratory, there is no electronics shop shown, although many other rooms in the lab are displayed. It is likely that the machines were manufactured in the Pasadena area by Hoyland, and transported to Rife’s lab. In August of 1938 the officers of Beam Ray were Benjamin Cullen, W. H. Van Wart, Beth Willman, A. W. Olmstead, and Ray Williams. In 1938 and 1939, Hoyland is not shown at the Stonehurst Drive address, and it is my belief that he had moved temporarily to San Diego, where he was close to the Beam Ray Corporation.
During November 1938 the Beam Ray Corporation, in a meeting in New York City, contracted with Dr. Bertram Gonin, William Blewett and Howard Parsons in England relative to the distribution of Rife Ray machines. By May of 1939, Hoyland had filed suit against the Beam Ray Corporation, claiming that the firm was promoting the manufacture and development of the machine in England, and thus reducing or eliminating royalty payments made to Hoyland, one of the owners of the machine, and charging that the above-mentioned stock transfers were illegal. One of Hoyland’s attorneys, Arron Sapiro, had been instrumental in the founding of the farmer’s Co-Op movement in the US and Canada during the 1920’s.
It is worthy of note that Sapiro, brought by Hoyland, attended meetings of the Beam Ray Board of Directors as a “friend of the company”, yet is the attorney, along with Eli Levenson, who Hoyland used in suing the corporation. Attorney Levenson’s name appears constantly in the court documents – Sapiro is rarely noted. The lawsuit was closed on December 6th of 1939 by San Diego Superior Court Judge Edward Kelly, finding for the defendants, and Hoyland was ordered to pay the costs and disbursements of the court case. No record has been found as to whether any costs were ever recovered – the indications are that the corporation was by this time bankrupt.
END OF PART 2
Author at Dave@dfe.net Additional sources: doctorme.com/earlydevices.htm | www.frii.com | www.rife.org